The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is seeking a full-time consultant analyst to support research on greening China’s Belt and Road Initiative, to be based in NRDC’s Beijing office. The position will be on a consultant basis for an initial term of 12 months.
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is an international environmental group, with more than 2.4 million members and online supporters, which employs the expertise of nearly 500 lawyers, scientists and other professionals to advance policy solutions for the planet and its people before international institutions around the world. NRDC works in countries including the United States, China, India, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Costa Rica, and the EU.
NRDC’s China Program is at the forefront of supporting China’s efforts on energy efficiency, renewable energy and environmental protection. We are proud to have collaborated with many academic, governmental, and non-governmental partners around the country to help accelerate these efforts.
NRDC is supporting a project on Greening China’s Belt and Road Initiative, that aims to strengthen policies and mechanisms for encouraging investment in low-carbon, low emissions projects under China’s BRI overseas development initiative.
We are seeking a Greening the Belt and Road Initiative (GBRI) Analyst who will be responsible for:
• Research and data collection on Chinese overseas investments projects, particularly in key Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) countries, and in key sectors such as power, cement, iron and steel, etc. The analyst will help to develop and keep up to date information on these projects, and will prepare research reports in Chinese and English summarizing research findings, trends and recommendations.
• Research and recommendations on Chinese policies and standards related to greening China’s Belt and Road Initiative, including industry energy-saving and emissions reduction standards, environmental impact assessments, emissions monitoring and enforcement, and green finance for low carbon, low emissions projects.
• Research on how Belt and Road Initiative projects can support key BRI countries in improving domestic environmental quality and attaining their climate and environmental goals under the Paris Agreement and UN Sustainable Development Goals.
The Analyst will work with Chinese NGO and think-tank partners to coordinate research on Greening the Belt and Road Initiative, and help with project administration and management, including organizing project research meetings and conferences and coordination with research partners. The Analyst will be based in NRDC’s Beijing office and will be an integral part of the NRDC China climate and energy team.
• Conducting research on Chinese overseas investment projects, and analyzing technologies, energy-saving and emission standards, and financing for projects. Preparing reports analyzing investment trends and providing recommendations for greening investment.
• Research on Chinese policies related to greening the Belt and Road Initiative, and encouraging investment in green projects, including relevant standards, environmental impact assessments, emissions monitoring and enforcement, and green finance.
• Communicating analysis and policy recommendations to Chinese policymakers, researchers institutes, industry, experts, and other relevant parties, to support the development of policies to green the Belt and Road Initiative.
• Working with the other members of NRDC’s China Program and US colleagues to enhance NRDC’s research and advocacy efforts and expertise on energy and environmental policy.
• Striving for teamwork, high performance and accountability.
• Master’s Degree in energy, environmental policy or science, or a related field, or 2-4 years of working experience in a related field or organization.
• Excellent research and writing skills in both Mandarin and English
• Broad knowledge of environmental, clean energy and climate change policy in China and abroad, and the ability to analyze how policies can be improved, including through adoption of best practices and technologies.
• Ability to work cooperatively with stakeholders, including government representatives and researchers, universities, companies, and NGOs. Strong interpersonal skills and a team player.
• Care for details, accuracy and high quality output.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/jobs and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you have any questions about this position, please send an email with the position title in the subject line to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until filled.